Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Sleepy to Happy
I will start this entry by saying that though some parts may have been tough, being a parent is one of the most fulfilling experiences of my entire life. At the risk of sounding totally cliche...time really does fly.
Our pride and joy is almost 8 months old (and that means about 8 months of not blogging...hmmmm).
This part might sound a bit complain-y...but, as always, I am keeping this blog honest about our experiences.
Up until he was about 3 1/2 months old (so hard to remember details anymore!), poor Nolan had quite a bit of trouble sleeping and staying happy. After feeding him, there was a good twenty minute window he would be happy. After that we just did whatever we could. We paced around with him for most of the day and evenings in hopes of helping him fall asleep. Lifting him up and down over and over would keep him happy. I got very used to holding him and cuddling at this time. I've decided it has helped us bond. :) When he finally fell asleep, there was an art to keeping him sleeping. Our best friends were the Moby Wrap, battery operated swing, milk and sound machines. :) I won't lie, taking him places was a bit nerve racking...
Once 3 1/2 months hit, he became happier and happier, but it was still a challenge to get him to fall asleep at night. During the school year, Jon works in the evenings (so that someone is always home with him during the day)and I'd often hang out at my parents' house after school till Nolan's bedtime. My mom and I used all of our super powers to help Nolan fall asleep at bedtime...feeding, rocking, singing, bouncing, car seat, swing, white noise, pacifier...you name it.
And then the sun popped through the clouds and our sweet baby boy was old enough to be sleep trained! A friend loaned us a great book (Easy Sleep Solution) and Jon and I trained him to sleep during spring break. Naturally, it was excruciatingly painful to let him cry, but it worked. Sleeping did wonders for his moods...as true for most of us. :)
Here's the part where I brag annoyingly: Now, Nolan (being older and well-rested) is the happiest baby around! Jon and I would even go so far as to say he is EASY. He will happily play by himself with his toys for hours. We can pretty much take him anywhere...knock on wood that this upcoming plane ride to Vegas goes well. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment