Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Letter To Nolan







A Christine Entry:

Dear Nolan,

It's amazing that something so small, which can't talk, move without help, interact, or feed itself has such incredible super powers.

I don't know how you did it, but you have cast a spell on me, Little Man. I am completely obsessed with you in every possible way. I could hold you in my arms and stare at you for the full 12 weeks I have off work.

Here are just a few details about your birth:

After my 36th week appointment with Dr. M, we had a strong feeling you would make an entrance into this world early. We kicked mission Prepare-For-Baby into high gear. The last two most important things were your car seat and your place to sleep beside our bed.

Two more much needed weeks passed by. I think the Baby Gods were being kind to me with time so I could get my second grade classroom and lesson plans ready for my maternity sub. Let me just tell you, Little Guy, this was no easy feat with a new grade level and an enormous belly. :)

I felt my first contraction in my ESOL class. I wasn't sure what it was, but I had a strong feeling you were knocking on the door.

My second was in the car on the way home from class. I was more certain it was a contraction this time.

I lounged around on my couch at home awaiting the next contractions.

"Um, my body kinda hurts. Then it stops," I said to Jon.

"Oh. I'm sorry," he responded. (It was his usual response to my rather constant complaints of body aches. He was very sympathetic throughout the whole pregnancy.)

I went upstairs to bed and they started to hurt more. I called Jon up.

"I think I need you beside me right now," I told him.

"Okay. How are you feeling?" He was pretty anxious at this point.

"It hurts and then it doesn't hurt. It's weird," I said (I have ALWAYS been good with words).

Pretty soon we started to time the contractions on Jon's fancy schmancy phone. He used this feature which timed laps. Every time I had a contraction, he'd hit the button that said "lap". I would then moan in pain while he stared at the clock until I told him it was over. Then he excitedly informed me of how long it lasted compared to all the other contractions and when the next one would occur.

We started to get good at it.

"LAP ME!" I'd say as soon as I felt a contraction coming on.

"GOT IT!" Jon would hit the lap button and stare at his phone while I complained.

"Okay, I'm good now," I said.

"That was a long one," he responded.

We were having so much fun with it, we almost forgot to call the doctor. Instead, we called my mom

"Call the doctor, Honey. I think this is it. HOW EXCITING!" my mom said (her voice was quite peppy for the middle of the night).

It was 2:30am when we were on our way to the hospital and Jon said, "You know, I'd always pictured this drive in my mind being more crazy. I pictured speeding down the highway wildly and passing cars."

"Then we would get pulled over....OOOOOOUCH!" I said.

"If we got pulled over, the police would escort us to the hospital and it would be even more awesome. We need to call your mom," Jon said.

By 3:30am we were hanging out in the hospital room and waiting for your arrival. Lots of our family came to the hospital when they heard we were there. They were excited to meet you and waited around for you also. :)

At about 3:20pm the next day, I started to push. It was a beautiful delivery and you were officially born at 4:01pm on November 8, 2011. I cried, you cried, my mom cried and even Jon (who I will now refer to as your dad) shed a few manly tears. :)

The moment you were lying on my belly and chest for the first time was the most incredible moment of my life. We were now a happy family of three.

You were two weeks early and weighed an impressive 8lbs 3oz and were 22 inches long.

Looking forward to many, many, many wonderful years with you, Mr. Nolan. You are my entire world now. :)

Love,
Mom





No comments:

Post a Comment