Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dear Andy


"Just counting down the days until summer." - Andy Loeb (August 31, 2009 first day of the school year)



Dear Andy’s Family,

Andy spoke so highly of you. I adored the way he loved you so much. I am sending you as much strength as I possibly can during this difficult time.

I have not met anyone who didn't think Andy was awesome. In one way or another, in a big way or a small way, he left an impression on people. Students, friends, colleagues…he was adored by so many.

Andy is and will always be remembered.

Love,

Christine



*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   


Dear Andy,

I don’t know how, but I was one of those lucky people who won the lottery and got to have you for a friend. I am filled with so much happiness that I was able to know you, have you in my life, have you for my pal.

During this very difficult time, I am allowing myself a selfish moment. This letter is mostly about my own feelings.

I am not writing this letter to tell you I am sad. You wouldn't want me to do that. I am writing to tell you I love you.

I first met you at a BBQ in Chris’s backyard just before school started for my first year of teaching. I was a nervous, new teacher and all of you were the veteran teachers. When I started talking to you, I predicted I would love working with you. I was right.

You welcomed me with open arms immediately. You gave me a book on my first day of teaching (First Day Jitters) and wrote a sweet note on the inside cover. You often popped into my classroom after school, sat on my counter and chatted with me about life and the price of eggs in China. You had such an important role in my journey as a teacher. 

I have so many wonderful memories of you. I am holding on to those and loving the smiles they bring to my face when I relive them in my mind. I must remind you of one of my favorites: Remember how I used to enter the building in the morning and then serenade you with obnoxiously chipper morning songs?  You were HILARIOUSLY grumpy in the mornings as you told me, “I don’t do mornings.” Your best response to my morning singing was when you stood in your classroom doorway with an evil look on your face and immediately turned off the lights when I walked by. I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. I still imagine you in that doorway in the mornings and smile.

You made me laugh constantly. You made a scene in the staff room every time you filled up your water bottle. I don’t think anyone else in this world can make me smile just from looking at a water dispenser.

I lost a part of me this weekend when you left this world.  Many of us did.

Thankfully, I can still feel your presence everywhere I go. It helps me to continue with daily life.  In one difficult moment during a shopping outing the other day, I paused, “How are we supposed to do this?”  Stacey responded with words I now repeat in my mind as often as possible, “We have to. It’s what Andy would have wanted us to do.”

I am closing this letter with a post I left on your facebook page on your birthday this year. It was Chris’s awesome idea for everyone to post 20 Random Things I Love about Andy.  

Here was my post:

20 Random Things I love about Andy:

1. His red onesie.
2. His dedication to young adult books and other reading material.
3. His sudden outburst of his outdoor voice when telling a joke.
4. His grumpy sense of humor every single morning.
5. His open mindedness.
6. His fascination with mathematical ideas.
7. His beard.
8. His family.
9. His dogs.
10. His passion for teaching and impacting the lives of children.
11. His dirty white van.
12. His button-up shirts.
13. The fact that we have the same Starbucks coffee mug. Those are some high quality mugs.
14. His love for writing in composition books. For every single subject imaginable. 
15. His random cracks of inappropriate jokes. 
16. His thoughtful advice. 
17. His loving and mellow nature.
18. The way he loves his family.
19. Pam.
20. He is my pal.

Love,

Christine




1 comment:

  1. Dear Christine,
    YOU, my dear are such an amazing friend! Anyone is absolutely lucky to have you as a part of their lives, I just want you to know! I'm sorry for the loss of your pal. I knew him very little, as I was a just a parent to one of his students! :) Tommy loved him as his fifth grade teacher! I will share though, I personally envied him when he would come to an occasional baseball game or two (much like you and Stacey did for Emily) when Tommy played! That's truly a big deal to have caring teachers like him to take time out of his personal life for his "other kids"...we are so lucky to have people like you & Andy in our own lives to call our friend as well as our children's teacher! Continue to be amazing like he was!!

    ReplyDelete