Saturday, January 8, 2011

Oh, Job. Where For Art Thou?









A Christine Entry:

This entry starts out sad, but has a happy ending...

To our unimaginable shock in June, Jon's accounting position was outsourced. We picked ourselves up and endured the journey of looking for a job.


Needless to say, it was an unsettling summer and excruciating fall in which all of our family, friends and colleagues did their best to comfort us. I couldn't ask for a better group of people surrounding us. Even in our weakest moments, our people stuck by us. They supported us and extended unconditional love. We would like to express our gratitude to everyone who helped us. Thanks especially to: Mom, Dad, Tevs, Darryl, Dannette, Lori, Paul, Elaine, Chris, Blaine, Michelle, Allisen, Stacey, Katherine and Frank who all went above and beyond to support us.

Our unemployment journey was a seemingly endless roller coaster (for lack of a better metaphor). At times, we felt optimistic. There were moments we were positive Jon was going to get hired somewhere. We were led to believe he was the number one candidate for a position. To our dismay, we were always rejected and sent back to our search, feeling even more pessimistic than before.

There were moments when my extreme confusion got the best of me. "I know he is such an amazing person and any company would be lucky to have him," I would say to my mom, "So why is this happening to us? Why can't we find a job for him?" My mom would always acknowledge the reality of this difficult time for us. "I know," She would say, "This is a hard time in your life. You don't have any control over it though, so you need to focus on all of the good. Your family and friends love you. Jon will get a job and everything will be okay." This is just one of the many, many conversations I had with my mother. My mom is always there for me.


My mom wasn't the only person who went out of their way to make me feel loved. I will never forget the morning I entered my classroom and found something special on my desk. There was a Dove chocolate bar and an envelope with my name on it. I opened to find a card with a picture of a woman holding an umbrella. Beside her, the text read, "Remember that after the rain there is a rainbow. And if I have to--I'll come over and paint the darn thing on your ceiling! Hang in there." Below this text was handwriting, "This WILL be just a memory before you know it! I'm always here to listen. I know chocolate helps @ least a little! Love, Chris" Chris is one of my most compassionate colleagues who never gave up on me. She has the most genuine and caring heart. She stuck by us and helped search for jobs the entire way.

Not surprisingly, our stress continued when 2010 Winter Break rolled around. Jon continued to search, call, email, apply and wait. On the week before Christmas, Jon received a phone call from a friend of the family. This man had a business and told Jon he might have some work for him. Although we deeply appreciated the tiny sprinkles of hope this man gave us, we didn't want to get our hopes up. We had heard positive words like this before. He told us he would be in touch with us soon-- probably after New Years. Again, we'd heard this before.

On December 25th, our family went on a trip. We drove to Disneyland (thanks Mom and Tevs!) in a rented 18 passenger van. Our family sang songs, wore white tiger shirts and laughed till our stomachs hurt. Something magical happened on this vacation. When Jon and I returned home at 3am, December 31st, we were much happier. It must have been Sleeping Beauty's magnificent castle. I mean it's so beautiful, Michelle couldn't handle it.


Monday, January 3rd was the first day back to school and it also happened to be my 27th birthday. I walked into my classroom to find that Stacey, my teammate, had decorated it with streamers, flowers, ribbons, posters, Diet Coke, and Justin Bieber (sort of a joke we have). Katherine, my other teammate, brought me coffee, presents and sent a plethora of students into my room to wish me a happy birthday. The love from my teammates and students was intoxicating. I didn't think this week could get any better.

Friday, January 7th Jon sent me an email stating he GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I immediately screamed the news to all of my closest colleagues, skipped around my school and by the end of the day my cheeks hurt from constant smiling.

As it turned out, that friend-of-the-family-man who told Jon he would be in touch with him actually called and gave Jon a job. I'm pretty sure that man is a saint or something. It is so wonderful he took the time to see Jon's qualities. (Tear)

AND FINALLY (sigh) we have made it to today. Jon will be doing accounting for a wonderful company that designs machines.

I don't wish this experience on anyone. However, I will say, though this sounds cliche, we are stronger people and an even stronger couple after going through this. We were able to spend tons of quality time together. Even after our predicament, I wouldn't trade my life with anyone. I was reminded of how amazing our marriage, our family and friends are. We are truly lucky people and we deeply appreciate the life we have.

Jon starts his new job this week. Phew.

2 comments: